Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Screen Writing: Take 2

Gosh, I never knew there was so much that could be done with screenwriting that I fear my head may explode!

Steve's workshop was phenominally helpful to me, but I feel that it helped a lot of the others in the workshop simple because when Steve worked with us as a group, it was not only those who got their work looked over that benefitted, but his advice to one person really hit home with a lot of us, or at least that's what I saw. When he went over mine I was a little choked up, everyone who went before me sounded, at least in my opinion, a little if not astronomically better than mine. Writing the script was uncomfortable. I am not someone who likes to work in short genre. My talents are in creating large and elaborate stories. Mine felt like I tried to shrink a large story while theirs were concise and to the point. I was quite embarassed in hearing others read my work, but getting a vocal on it gave me a little more stablility.

The best part of th workshop to me was though, when we were analyzing my piece, everyone kept shouting, oh cut this I don't get this why did you do this make this this and it hurtmy head, but Steve asked me specifically on his confusions as to my piece and was not as aggressive to alter my work as the others had been. It was a piece that needed careful analysis to him, not something to tear appart, and I felt good because my piece was being taken care of. My piece was beig looked at not for mistakes or problems but for points that could really bloom if they were looked at and executed correctly. This I liked. I also liked listening in for the advice on the other scripts. It just stunned me some of the things that could be pulled out of a script. Cassie's script was two pages long but we talked on and on about the implied, on and on about what could happen and how we could make it happen and tried to retain as much as I could to use in my own piece. I was always looking fo' better my work in any possible way.

I feel like I really learned something in this workshop, and for me, I feel like this is a really big thig when I actually learn something, not have it drilled into my head or be mentioned as it hits my brain as though I had nothing but solid bricks in my head. I want to be the one hit by the brick, not the brick being hit, for lack of a better word. I do infact feel like I was hit, HARD, and cannot wait to have a brick hurdled at my head again.

No comments:

Post a Comment