Friday, November 13, 2009

To create the perfect fantasy...

Magic the Gathering, Dungeons and Dragons, Viking movies with men who think that they are bears! This is how I have spend my last few weeks, enveloping myself in all that is unfathomable in this day and age. When I write, I can think of no other genre I like better than a Fantasy. If dragons aren't flying this way and that while magicians cast spells of fire and ice, then you probably aren't reading my writing, or you are reading an assignment. My recent working is a novel to which I have no title for, at least yet, but follows the life of a spellcaster named Reave (if you want more I will soon be posting a weekly excerpt for critique) who's involvement in a faction of war quickly becomes more than the boy can handle.
With each day I try to piece together another bit of the puzzle as to how I am going to create this fantastical story. First, one of my obessions, magic the gathering, a game based heavily on, well, MAGIC is where I get a lot of inspiration, not necessarily specific spells or creatures or even names, it just gets that part of my brain steaming and ready to write this. It's invigorating to play magic all day and then go home to type away at a keyboard or burn down a pencil in creating Reave's world and life.
As much as I'd like to have learned the majority of things for my novel in the outside world, the unstructured, unregimented world, I have lately gotten a lot of it in STAC. One character I had trouble with creating was Dormine, a female character who would take on a motherly role in Reave's life, but I did nit know how to convey a character that was not related yet still was a close and motherly or even just parental figure. This is where STAC came in. When we watched control, I instantly hooked onto Bela. Bela seemed to be like the parental to everyone who knew him, especially Bulscu. This was it, this was the relationship I needed to see in order to create Dormine. I needed a caring character but not one that hinders the protagonist. I needed her to guide him rather than tell him how to do things. This was beyond revolutionary for me, the character just clicked into my head and from then on I could simply not wait for the time to come when she Dormine made her first entrance.
Next came structure, again in STAC. As we studied mythic was of stoy telling and related them to movies, I saw how I could fix my work to ensnare more readers. I needed to hook them in without changing much of my story and this was perfect. I layed out my storyline along the ideas of what Luke had showed us on Tuesday and it almost fit without change, which led me to believe that I was on the right track to creating a wonderful story. This was going to be phenominal. I was so excited I could hardly breathe. From there I have been vigorously writing each day.
There still are some kinks that need working out, but I have close friends and close teachers who I'm sure can be nothing but an asset to this project of mine, and I hope to get all of my Fellow STACies as well as some others hooked onto my story. First chapter will be posted tomorrow before midnight if more than five people want it then, otherwise, Saturday night. So if you want to read it, let me know!

1 comment:

  1. I wait for it.

    "A fantasy book has to have at least 100 pages of setting in the beginning."

    Do you have a sidekick-character? Do you have a sequel where Reave has to take on a fathering role? Then the third and final, when he is old? Wouldn't that be a great progression for any story...

    ReplyDelete