Thursday, April 15, 2010

Workshops: April 2010: Bookmaking

Initially when I heard I was in the bookmaking workshop I was disappointed. I had thought that I was going to be bored the entire time with the monotony of sewing paper together in order to make a concisely bound book. I had thought I was in the workshop down at the community center like Luke had said on Tuesday when he talked about the guy from the Gin Blossoms coming in. From what I understood the other guy was going to be more beneficial for me. I guess that idea got changed.

I went into the workshop lackluster. I didn't really want to do the work. I kind of wanted to just float by and half-ass it because I was not interested in learning to bind my own books. This was definitely a bad attitude towards this in hindsight. Once we started ripping the paper I guess I started kind of enjoying it. I was laughing with Keren about how terrible we both were at ripping the paper correctly and getting frustrated with how it would not rip on the line of the ruler.

Then we learned what signatures were, which I found to be a cool fact, and looking back. My favorite of the books I own are the ones with the hand made paper edges. I was becoming really into it when we began stitching our signatures together and was amused at how frustrated I got when I could not pull the needle through the paper. Lizy, Keren, Leah, and I had just wound up having a good laugh and enjoying ourselves. And now I feel like I have learned a little something cool that I could do in my spare time, like a crafty Hobby.

I cant wait until next time.

1 comment: