Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Wandering in the Dark?

Today in STAC we had an interesting experience with Blindfolds...

To explain what basically happened was that we had half of the people blindfolded (Oh, and we were at the community center!) and the unblinded half would take the blind by the arm and run them across the stage. At first this was scary as all hell. I always felt like I was going to run into someone for sure. I guess, this did really lean in with the idea of trust that we were talking about towards the end of the day. There were those in STAC who I would trust with my life, simply because of how well I know them, but there were some who's name sums up all I really know about them, and this was the part that made it scary. I did not know who was dragging me across the stage, and in not knowing, I realized that my trust extended to "Persons" not the group. The exercise really helped me learn to trust all of those that I did not see, simply because I did not see them. I don't know who took me by the arm, but I do know that not once did I hit into someone, so that helped me. Following that we had to partner up and again blindfolded, people were led and led people around the entire building. Your partner was supposed to be with people that your really did not have experience with. You learned to step up when you heard them step up and to trust that they would let you know before tumbling down the staircase. A good chunk of this was in silence. I was quite nervous too. I'm not the kind of person who just throws my life at just anyone's judgments. Most people who have my complete trust I've known for at least a few years. Most of these people I am just really meeting. In a way it breaks down a lot of barriers for me. It sets me up to rely more on my fellow man and take a little bit off of my shoulders and in the end, it was a bit more relieving than I could have ever imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment